Tuesday, July 15, 2008

My Life


Armed with a 25% discount coupon and my friend's discount card, I made my way down to Borders to grab a book to read. So I came out of the store with My Life autobiography on the life of Fidel Castro. This is a spoken autobiography where a French journalist by the name of Ignacio Ramonet in a succesion of few years, interviewed Fidel Castro over 100 times and the book was written in a Q&A style.

Its pretty amazing how Castro outlived so many US Presidents and running a country having an infant mortality rate under 6 per 1,000 live births in their first year of life, behind Canada by a slight margin, you wouldnt expect to see it coming from a country like Cuba. Look at the healthcare system in Cuba. I believe Michael Moore can tell you more about it from his documentary film Sicko.

I am about 20% into the book now as we speak. Just like what Obama said in his 2006 autobiography The Audacity Of Hope, he said that he serves as a blank screen on which people of vastly different political stripes project their own views. So just like anyone, I am neutral when it comes to Castro. Anyway its amazing to read his life during his younger days. And amazingly how normal his life is. Something you wont expect from a great leader from Cuba.

Like it or not, Fidel Castro has a place in history as a defiant figure that changed Cuba forever. And thats a good thing. Just ask any Cubans......





No comments: