Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Hometown Food



Since we can get politics out of the way now, lets talk about food. Going back home, one of the things I always looked forward too is FOOD. How can I not miss those mouth watering food.

Remember I spoke before of the famous Kelang Lama laksa in my previous postings? That store is a branch taken care of by the owner's son. This is the original place where it all began. This area used to be just a small humble stall. Then it started to get bigger and bigger and before you know it, it has become the talk of the town. People basically throng the place to gobble on the laksa. So I tapao-ed 3 packets home.





Remember that I said before that I am proud that my hometown has a stall in Malaysia's Top 10 chicken rice stall ranking. Here you go. I grew up eating their mixed rice. I believe their secret lies in the sauce they pour onto the rice.And when I tasted their mixed rice I tapao home, oh boy...it still tastes the same when I tasted it 25 years back. Everytime my Mum is not in the kitchen cooking, she will get my Dad to buy back the mixed chicken rice. So eating it brings back nostalgic memories for me too.



Talking about breakfast, situated in the same coffee shop as the famous chicken rice, this curry mee stall is a must for me. I always felt that my trip back is not complete if I cant get a taste of this curry mee. Plus, the couple mending the store is friendly. What more can you ask for, if the food is simply superb and the seller is so friendly and its reasonably priced?






Yes yes, if you look at the pictures, you might say it looks gross. Just like Kenny Sia said that Pak Naseer's nasi lemak looks like...emmm. Well to me this RM1 nasi lemak is one of the best but yet simple nasi lemak I had tasted before. I still remember those days when I used to hangout at this stall at night, sipping teh tarik and eating the nasi lemak at RM0.60 per packet. They have a variety of nasi lemak I can choose from, sotong, ikan bilis, telur, ikan masin and others. I wanted to go for ikan masin but it was soldout. So I settled for ikan bilis and sotong. Dont let the the picture deceive you. One bite, and I guarantee you will be coming back for more.





The only miss for me this time was that I failed to taste my favourite bak kut teh. We went there on Fri night. It was closed. Damn. Now I need to remind myself that I should go there on any days except Fridays. So we went to this stall Good Master Bak Kut Teh. This stall used to be our favourite until we change our liking to the other stall. Its not that bad the taste but maybe I have higher expectations now for bak kut teh. The soup is simply no match with the sweetness and herbal fragrant taste of the other stall.

No comments: