Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Persepolis


If I had more than 2 thumbs, I would have given Persepolis a 3 thumbs up. Another movie for me over the weekend. Trying to play catch up with some of the movies I have at home. This animation revolves around the life of Marji at the age of 10 where she lived through the hardship of life under Shah of Iran and how she and her family went through life during the Iran-Iraq war in Tehran from 1980-1990. Eventually her family sent her to Austria fearing her outspokenness and different way of life will land her into trouble with the hardliners.

This is one animation that everyone should take seriously. Anyway, Persepolis is situated 70 km northeast of the modern city of Shiraz in the Fars province of modern Iran. Do lookout for the rendition of Eye Of The Tiger by Marji. I can play this over and over again. That rendition alone is enough to send the point home that Persepolis is a brilliant masterpiece and hillarious at the same time. Try tackling a serious issue by injecting a classy humour in it. Not easy I must say.

The ending for Persepolis might bring tears to some of you. And some may feel sad for Marji. I know I did in my case.
.

No comments: