Thursday, August 28, 2008

MT


Who is MCMC. Who are they to be the judge and jury in banning access to Malaysia Today. I never heard of them before. If Malaysia Today is publishing defamatory articles, I suggest the relevant authorities brings a civil suit again RPK. That also if you dare to do it.

Apparently MCMC rationale is based on this flimsy Section 263 below. Maybe I am referencing to the wrong act. And I am no lawyer as well except for my little knowledge from my university days taking a few Law modules and my current job now vetting through contracts with my Legal Dept. But it seems to me, its such a bad excuse to block the site.

National Interest Matters

263. (1) A licensee shall use his best endeavour to prevent the network facilities that he owns or provides or the network service , applications service or content applications service that he provides from being used in,or in relation to the commission of any offence under any law of Malaysia.General duty of licensees.

(2) A licensee shall, upon written request by the Commission or any other authority, assist the Commission or other authority as far as reasonably necessary inpreventing the commission or attempted commission of an offence under any written law of Malaysia or otherwise in enforcing the laws of Malaysia, including, but not limited to, the protection of the public revenue and preservation of national security.

So whats the problem here? I didnt see any reference in the act above saying one violating this section can be taken offline? Do I see any remedies if one contravenes the section above? No.

So has Malaysia Today violated any laws in Malaysia and succesfully charged in a court of law? Again No. And funnily the heading is under National Interest Matters. More of a reason why Malaysia Today should be a must read to all loving Malaysians who love their country.

Plus Malaysia Today is hosted in a foreign soil. So theoratically speaking, does MCMC has the rights to block Malaysia Today?

I am no lawyer nor am I sure that above Section 263 is what MCMC reffering to, to justify their actions, but if the answer is Yes, it stinks sky high.
.

No comments: