Friday, February 20, 2009

The Translator


I must confessed that before reading this book, I know nuts about the conflict in Darfur or Sudan as a whole. Although I had often heard the word Khartoum government, it didnt make any impact as it was just another word for a war torn country. Sudan is just another Rwanda to me. I was dead wrong.

After reading The Translator, memoirs of Daoud Hari, a Zaghawa tribesman, my perception of the whole conflict took a 360 degrees turn for me. Little did I know that the conflict in Darfur was a concentrated effort by the government controlled by the minority Arabs to wipe out the non Arabs Africans. Little did I know that, the government sponsored the Arabs with weapons to wipe out the Africans although both are mainly Muslims. Little did I know as well that Chad and Sudan used to be one in Darfur until the colonial powers carved a border to split the 2 countries. The France took control of Chad and the British took control of Sudan in which the British later left the country in 1956.

The harrowing experience by Daoud Hari and especially the journalists that travelled deep into the heart of the conflict really have my admiration. Next time when I picked up a book or a magazine or a newspaper, I will have a much deeper respect for them. How they risk their lives on the line for that piece of story. Story that will go on print to the masses throughout the world.

If you ask me, this book is a good choice to be made into a motion picture. Now who is going to star and direct this movie in Hollywood, any takers? Plus the name The Translator is kinda hip and certainly can give Jason Statham movie, The Transporter a run for its money on the title.



.

No comments: