Thursday, October 9, 2008

Chicken Rice



Back in the days, 40A Margaret Drive was a favourite hangout for my former badminton team. Everytime when we played at Bukit Merah Sports Hall, we made it a point to visit our favourite chicken rice stall. Sim Kee Chicken Rice at Level 2 of the Food Centre.

The rice was fragrant then that you can just tug into the rice minus the chicken. The rice is a tad oily but fragrant. So we all knew that all those workout from our badminton game will be down the drain.

Fast forward to present. To relive the good old days, we decided to visit the stall again. This time it was slightly different. The stall has many awards now and they even have a picture of President Nathan with the owners of the stall.

There were about 9 of us for dinner that night. So I ordered 2 chickens. I believe each chicken costs about $22 if my memory serves me right.

Anyway I believe the stall has lost much of its zest. The rice especially was a big letdown. Its no more oily nor fragrant. To me its as good as eating a bowl of plain white rice. Although the chicken is tender, however I cant seem to find that fragrant taste that used to be the hallmark of Sim Kee. Though the chilli still tastes good, this alone will not make up for the shortcomings from both the chicken and the rice.

I missed the good old days when their food was good. Not sure whether I will have a chance to taste it again since I had made up my mind that I wont be visiting this stall anytime soon.

.

No comments: