Friday, October 3, 2008

Ash Concert Review





So today is Day 1 after I rocked and sweat it out at Fort Canning Park with Ash. The thing about Ash is that they can never satisfy all their fans because they have such a huge catalogue of songs from both A and B sides, each and everyone of us have our own personal favourite.

So last night they didnt played Envy. So Kim's favourite song was out. I saw that coming though. They didnt play my favourite as well, Jesus Says. Darn! I thought Jesus Says was going to be their last song after the encore. But instead it was Burn Baby Burn. Well you can never win it all, can you? And they didnt played Singapore Song/Seventh Circle as well.

I noticed there was no usual promo from any radio stations. So I can only guess that this is a low profile gig without much fanfare. The boys from Ash probably travelled light to Singapore without carrying much equipments or roadies.

So Chee Nang told me that he heard someone shouting for Sometimes, one of Ash's better singles in my opinion. That also didnt see the light of day. I heard another fan was dissapointed that they didnt play Polaris. Well, I share his sentiment. Ash started off late, about 9.15pm. And they jammed all the way until about 10.45pm. I wish it could had been longer. Fish Tank was the opening act. Kudos to this local act. I actually dont mind checking out their albums. I am all for the local music industry.

In no particular order, Ash belted out hits such as Meltdown You Cant Have It All, Polaris, Renegade Calvanade, Clones, Walking Barefoot, Wildsurf, Angel Interceptor, A Life Less Ordinary, Goldfinger, Jack Names The Planets, Oh Yeah, Kung Fu, Shining Light, Twilight of The Innocents (encore song), Burn Baby Burn and 2 singles that I never expected them to play. When you attend an Ash concert, you can be sure, this guys will spring some suprises.

They experimented a new material for their upcoming release, Ichiban. Didnt quite like it. And they played a track Blacklisted from their 5th studio album, Twilight of The Innocents. No way anyone could have guessed that they will be playing this 2 songs.

Tim Wheeler teased the crowd when he started playing the guitar to the tunes of Beat It. Thank God it didnt go any further than that.

And by the way, its only a coincidence that me and Chee Nang wore an almost identical clothes with a similar theme, Stone Roses. We are such a huge fan of this band, Ian Brown rocks man.

So as we headed out of the venue, me and Kim are gearing up for our next concert next month, Manic Street Preachers.







.

No comments: