Monday, September 1, 2008

Lor Mee 2



Last week I had the chance to put to the test if the Lor Mee near Yew Tee MRT which is my personal favourite is the best in Singapore? Never mind the food critics from Makansutra, Green Book or any other critics out there, because I have my own standard to go by.

I blogged about Yew Tee Lor Mee before in my 31st Jan-2008 posting. So its time I brought in a formidable opponent to go head on with my personal favourite. Make no mistake, Xin Mei Xiang situated in Old Airport Road is no pushover. This stall owner was even bestowed Makansutra Legend title. Not many had the honour to wear this title.

So I had to queqe before I can munch my way into this famous Lor Mee. It comes in $3.00 or $4.00 meal. Trust me, if you're in Old Airport Road, you would want to try the smaller version of the meals, as you will be spoilt for choices.

Here goes the verdict. The gravy bears an uncanny resemblance in taste with my favourite personal Lor Mee. No joke. If I were to put myself in a blind test and just taste the gravy, I might not be able to distinguish which is which. However this Lor Mee has an additional ingredient which is shredded meat. However their fried dumpling is no match to my favourite Lor Mee. They are not even close in terms of quantity and quality. But, I must say that the noodles from Xin Mei Xiang is so much better. Rather than being lumped together, the noodles are easily separated once you start to mix it all up.

Summary, my favourite Lor Mee is still a secret hideout that only the people in Choa Chu Kang neighbourhood knows. That's good. Considering the fact, you dont have to travel all the way to Old Airport Road and queqe. I will give the extra edge to my favourite personal Lor Mee.






No comments: