Friday, September 26, 2008

RPK


When my sister called me in Bali to tell me that Raja Petra Kamaruddin (RPK) is to be sent to Kamunting Detention Center, my heart sank 6 feet down under. Soon after, I began to receive sms'es as well on his ISA incarceration from my friends. I had always felt that the ISA would be used against RPK. But no one can ever prepare for this kind eventuality. Never.

If there is a last bastion of truth and justice in Malaysia, that honour should go to RPK. He is not affliated to any political parties. His love and hate relationship with Dato Seri Anwar Ibrahim (DSAI) can be tracked all the way back when he was in ABIM, all the way into UMNO and then championing his release through the now defunct Suara Reformasi.

RPK ability to hunt for news can put any reporters from any daily to shame. Malaysia Today is a piece of icon that will live on forever. And one day, when I have kids of my own, I will tell them about Malaysia's own freedom fighter, RPK. A hero in his own rights, unrepentant and stares straight at evil and all thats corrupt with both feet firmly on the ground.

During the height of Reformasi movement, that was the first time I heard of the name of RPK. But then, I didnt know him well enough. I thought he was just another blind supporter of DSAI. But I was wrong, RPK is not like that. He is a man with his own principles. I cant see him joining any political parties, because he is such a firebrand, that having affliation with any political parties will only clip his wings.

RPK said to Marina Lee his wife, asking her to relay the message to the people not to forget him. I have one thing to say to you, RPK. You will not be forgotten. We will fight on for your release. Your ideals will stay on with me and millions more out there.

You will not be missed, but you will be remembered. We will not say goodbye to you, because we know you will be back. The masses are waiting for you, Son Of Malaysia, RPK.





.

No comments: