Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Netbook Asus Eee PC





I had been wating for some time to get a new laptop considering the fact my Acer laptop is in coma for many years now. And Kim's Fujitsu laptop is having irregular bowel syndrome where it hangs and do a physical memory dumps whenever she feels like it. So with the coming of a cheaper version of a crossover between a laptop and PDA, with the birth of netbook, its really a pleasant coming for budget consumers like me. I don’t play games on my laptop. Mostly the purpose of opening laptop is to read up on some interesting news out there, chatting or maybe do some updates on emails. That’s about it. I don’t even watch movies on the computer except maybe occasionally some stuffs on You Tube.

So from last week's IT Fair, I got myself Asus Eee PC model 1000HE. It comes with new Intel Atom N280 processor. For me, the most 2 important criterias for me are battery life and internet connectivity. You would not want either of that to die on you when you're in the midst of doing something.So with a 9.5hrs battery life and built in WLAN 802.11b/g/n, this netbook is certainly a grab. Plus it weighs at 1.45kg with a 10.2 inch screen with a 160Gb hardisk.

After much haggling on lowering the price, paid $700 cash for the netbook, discounted from the original price of $738. Prior to that, actually went to at least 3 other booths for price comparison. A lady beside me also purchased a similar model as mine. Saw her paying $735, but hers come with additional 1GB RAM. This booth is charging $30 for additional 1GB RAM. So the maths adds up. I believe adding RAM somewhere else can be cheaper.

It has only been less than a week for me using this toy. The multi touch pad needs some getting used to. Addition to that, I intend to transfer my I Tunes from my company laptop to this netbook and then upgrade the I Tunes to a 2.2.1 version. Still a lot of fine tuning to do.


.