Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Stereophonics Pull The Pin Tour - Singapore 28th Apr




What more can I say about Stereophonics. On 28-Apr-08, at about 9.15pm, they played 20 songs that by far one of the most entertaining concerts I have ever been to. My review going to be biased because Stereophonics is one of the top acts that I fancy the most.The Great Spy Experiment was the opening act. They mentioned their names almost everytime they played a song. Yeah yeah yeah, please stop repeating your name for God heaven's sake.

Stereophonics blasted the night away with their new single Bank Holiday Monday and then it was back to their 2nd album single, Bartender And Thief. They moved back again in time with their 1st album single, A Thousand Trees and then jumped back into one of my personal favourites, Superman. With 6 albums to their credit, this guys can play a whole bunch load of songs.

By the 6th song, drummer Javier Wayler was already without his t shirt. The weather was indeed scorching hot. So that night, I had 2 tasks to perform.One was to get my friend a Stereophonics Pull The Pin Tour T shirt. So I did exactly that. Then I was to sing to Local Boy In Photograph. Did that too.

Kelly Jones guitar prowess and vocal mights is second to none. That night's performance was testament of his ability. Still fresh from his performance at Bangkok 100 Rock Festival on Sat (http://blog.nationmultimedia.com/wonderwoman/2008/04/28/entry-1), he certainly showed no signs of lethargy and sounding fresh. Suprisingly they played Doorman from Language, Sex, Violence, Others. The guitar playing was wicked. Kim, my girlfriend was stunned with the amazingly brilliant display of guitar playing feat.

By song No. 16, Kelly waived to the crowd saying he will be playing a couple of songs from their debut album Word Gets Around, so they played Traffic, Local Boy In Photograph and More Life's In A Tramp Vest.

Its hard for me to pick which was my favourite that night, but I certainly enjoyed the song Devil. Listen to the lyrics and watch the music video and you will know what I mean. The band left the stage only to return back for the encore doing 2 songs. One was Kelly solo on guitar, Maybe Tomorrow, (wish I had that version in my IPod) and followed by the last song of the night, Dakota. Why not, since Dakota was voted by fans online as the best single from them thus far.

With very little talking, Stereophonics just came here to conquer the stage and crowd and left us reeling for more. However I cant still live with the fact that they left out Have A Nice Day and Rewind. A group of fans sang to the tune of Have A Nice Day during the encore, but sadly the song didnt see the light of day.But maybe I am asking too much, 20 songs in a night is indeed a generous setlist.

Oh yeah, they celebrated their keyboardist Tony Kirkham birthday on stage. Kelly popped a champagne and there was a birthday cake carried by a bevy of beauties.

With more tour dates to go in Australia before they wind down their tour in this part of the region in May, I am sure they have etched a mental picture of their brilliant performance that night in the minds of many fans.

No comments: