Monday, May 25, 2009

Star Trek


I wanted to catch Star Trek, 3 wks back when it was first released. Suffice to say, I always try to avoid 1st week of release especially for a box office hit like Star Trek. On the 2nd week, I tried going to 2 cinemas on a Sat and all the good seats were unavailable. And thanked God in the 3rd week of its release, I finally got to watch Star Trek given a breath of new life by JJ Abrams.

Verdict is, it hits me sprawling on the floor gasping for more. Its that good! I get goosebumps watching Star Trek reboot. I wouldn’t call it a prequel because JJ Abrams had changed the storyline as a vengeful Nero, a renegade Romulan was sucked into a black hole thus reversing the past and altering the future.Its good to see the crew back again in USS Enterprise.Its kinda weird seeing the younger Spock played by Zachary Quinto meeting up with the older Spock played by Leonard Nimoy. Now can someone please bring William Shatner back in the upcoming sequel rumoured for release in 2011.

I only have one complain in the movie though. I still cant get over the fact that the character Sulu is played by James Cho, the guy from Harold & Kumar. I still think he is too comical for the role and he is better off getting burgers from White Castle. For the rest of the crew, Abrams had solidified each characters in their positions. Captain James Kirk had always been brash, arrogant and the kind of leader that gets his hands dirty. As opposed to Captain Jean Luc Picard who is more of a diplomat.

I am a Trekkie / Trekker, and to see the movie comes alive again is simply a feeling which is hard for me to describe. I still remember spending hours alone in the Star Trek exhibition when it was here in Singapore. Or when I was still studying, staying up late at night waiting for Star Trek Enterprise to come up on air after the midnight news ended on TV3. Star Trek theme had always been acknowledging the diversity of the many species in the universe (cue, take a look at the crew), that human spirits always prevail in the face of adversity, and no matter how superior our opponents are, with a little bit of courage and brains, human will prevail. Maybe its just what we need in the world today.
.

No comments: