Friday, May 22, 2009

LCD TV


Recently I got myself a 40 inch LCD tv. I was tossing between either getting Sharp, Samsung or Sony. I am impressed with Sharp mainly due to the price and I am so so satisfied with my Ipod Touch since its using Sharp panels as well.

I was eyeing on the A63, 37 inch model from Sharp, but ultimately Sharp did not bring it down to a price I am willing to pay. Though they had offer for their A53 series, it was not a Full HD tv but only a HD ready tv. Since LED tv had enter into the fray, I was thinking if I were to get a HD ready, I would be like 2 generations back. Though sheepishly I do admit that I doubt I will use the full functionality of the Full HD features.

So, in the end, I purchased my LCD tv at Harvey Norman warehouse sale on 03-May.I was quite impressed with Samsung Series 5, 40 inch but in the end I didn’t get it as I was kinda pissed with the salesman lacklustre of integrity. First of all I ask him, "Does this model have a USB port?", he said "yes". And he proceeded to turn the tv to show me the so called USB port. Either my eyes are playing tricks on me but I couldn’t find the port at all. So nevermind, I asked him again, "Can I have that brochure over there so that I can evalute the specs?", he replied, "don’t bother, this model is not featured in the brochure". But I was adamant, and I took the brochure and surprise surprise, this model was featured inside. Okay, this is already Lie #2 from him. I asked him, "Hey, can I see what kind of mini hi fi set this LCD is giving out for free?". He said, "Sorry, the set is not here." As I turned the other way, I saw the set featured there.Lie #3. So I told myself, screw him. I don’t feel like even buying a pen from him.

Next stop was Sharp booth, they were throwing some freebies in the form of a $100 NTUC voucher to early birds for the 42 inch A53 series, HD Ready model. So deduct $100, you basically are just paying $1,099 for the tv. But then again, Sharp warranty for its panels is only 1 year. Kinda odd and not per industry standard if you ask me.

Finally, Sony's booth. I was actually here in the warehouse sale 2 days ago. So it was my second time here, and I already sort of know what I wanted to get. Of all the LCD series Sony has, I decided to settle for their low range model, the S series. So I got myself S Series - KLV-40S400A. Purchased it at $1,799, but they are giving out $250 High Choice voucher from Sony, $100 High Choice voucher from Harvey Norman themselves plus a HDMI cable which I think the retail price should be on average at around $80. On a rough count, I am paying about $1,369 before GST.

The TV came about 6 days later, and I had been watching it since. Next stop is to subscribe Starhub cable to get a more crystal clear resolution. The S Series above comes with features below
· Full HD 1080
Sadly, I don’t have a Blu Ray player yet and also I am not so sure which tv channel comes with HD resolution, so I guess it be a long time to come before I can utilize the full potential of this feature.
· BRAVIA Engine 2
This is a feature where apparently Sony claims its intelligent enough to adjust contrast and eliminate noises in the background. How true is it? Beats me. I have so far not realised anything yet.
· Improved Advanced Contrast Enhancer (ACE)
This feature is mainly focus on dark scenes, so if you're watching horror movies, or movies with dark background such as Sin City, or a Batman movie where Gotham City is always gloomy and rainy, this feature I believe will come in handy.
· MPEG Noise Reduction
I tried this feature last night, but kinda weird, it seems like the sound sounds same to me. Maybe I should use it when ChannelNews Asia is covering some protest in some parts of the world.
· Intelligent Picture
This feature claims it can boost weak broadcast signals (RF). Does it work? Again I wouldn’t know. I am currently tapping into my flat antenna, so I really don’t know if it works and if I subscribe to Starhub cable, I doubt I need this feature ever again.
· S-Force Front Surround
It says there it boost virtual surround sound. Whats virtual sound? What the heck is that? Plus I am not expecting much from TV speakers, no matter how surround it is, hahahaha.
· BRAVIA Sync
It says I can control all my other devices hooked to this tv with a single touch of the button, what I am not so sure is that can it sync with a non Sony product? We all know Sony make their products compatible with each other, but not really friendly to non Sony brands. I don’t blame them for having this strategy, but to me its kinda like shooting their own foot strategy.
· 24P True Cinema & Theatre Mode
Again, I think I will not be using this feature anytime soon as long as I don’t have a blueray player.
· Ambient Light Sensor for Energy Conservation & Reduce Eye Fatigue
Okay, I admit this is a smart feature. I can see the tv trying its best to adjust the contrast and brightness each time I switch channels.
· 1 Tuner PAP
I think I should be using this feature when I am greedy and I want to watch telly and my DVD movies.
· PC PIP
When watching a video from an external source, a TV program can also be viewed as a smaller window (Picture and Picture) and can be moved around the screen’s four corners. Interesting, I will try it one fine day just to see how it works.
· Swivel
I am dissapointed with this frankly. It can swivel at a 20 degrees angle only. I sometimes watch tv while eating. Although 20 degrees is basically good enough, but it be great if it can do a 40 degrees turn.
.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am impressed! Blog information posted here is surely my friend. I justified after to hint safeguard up with comments and calibre work. IE browser bookmarks to your blog at best with it, I l come pursuing to drive my friends more in the future! The color of the layout is not bad, it is easy on the eyes.