Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Food in Korea

My 1st taste of Korean food just simple blew me away. When I arrived there, there was already a long queqe forming. So we had to wait in the line to taste their famous chicken soup Korean style. The rice is covered inside the chicken. You can choose either normal white chicken or the black chicken. I chose the black chicken soup. I guarantee, one sip of this soup, you will never forget its taste. Its so creamy and sweet that it melts in your mouth. Take more sips, and it just warm your body. I can only imagine that should be served only to the Kings in medieval times. Simply ravishing.


Located just near my girlfriend's house, this restaurant only specializes in meat parts. You can order various meaty parts. But I went for their "sundeh". Korean style sausage. They packed so much vege into the meat, the sausage simple just explode in your mouth when you take a bite. Perfect with soju or any kind of liquors, I actually went to the store twice before I left Korea. In fact, during my last night stay in Korea, this was my parting food. And the soup that they served along with it, its so heavenly rich with the sweetness of the pork, you just want to gulp everything at once cause its that damn good.



Located inside Namdaemun market, I was told by my girlfriend, this shop was featured before in Dymanic Korea shown every Sun at 8.30pm on ChannelNews Asia. Think I vaguely remember this shop where they interviewed the lady and how her hands were all roughed up because of the hard work of handling the hot pots thats used to boil the food. Again we were also made to wait as there was a long queqe. We made our way to the 3rd floor of the shop where we were huddled to a small room to enjoy our food. The spicy fish is nice, but I like the egg better, I like the feeling of bouncing eggs in my mouth

This was one of my girfriend's favourite shop. And it was her Mum's favourite shop too. So if I have the vote of 2 Koreans, then what the heck. I must make this store a must visit store. True enough it lives up to its expectation. They are famous for its kimchi. Of course, it came in its full original form of a rounded cabbage. The picture shown here, is when the waitress is actually doing the cutting. I believe based on the size of the kimchi, it should be perfect for the consumption of 3-4 persons. But the 2 of us ravaged through almost the whole kimchi. Cause its nice thats why. I had stewed pork. And look at that big piece of ginseng lying there. I have never seen a big size ginseng in my food in my whole life before. And the pork is soft, marinated and boiled so well, you can taste the juice oozing into the soup and blend the herbal ingredients used in it and not forgetting the ginseng. End result. You have a soup so sweet, that begs you screaming for more. My girlfriend had cold noodle. I had a sip of the soup. Amazing, why cant we find good Korean food like this in this part of the world?





I also had a taste how Korean porridge taste like. This is from a franchised store which you probably find all over Korea.Not too different from Chinese porridge, I like Korean porridge as well. Probably the only difference is that Korean dishes usually come with generous side dishes which you dont find in Chinese food.


Before I left for Korea, my girlfriend told me I simply must try this cocoon caterpillar snack. I said no way. So when I was there, I changed my mind. Yeah, what the heck. I might as well try it. Took one bite, can feel the juice oozing out, splashing in my mouth. Amazing, it taste better than i expected. In fact, I love it! Why we dont have this snack in Spore as well? I can envisioned, this snack replacing popcorn or kacang putih. So when I am in Korea again, I will definately have another go at this snack.
































This shop I must admit was hard to find. My girlfriend wasnt that confident she can find this shop. We walked throught small alleys. Still no sign of the shop. As we were about to give up, we managed to find this shop tucked inside a dark alley. My girlfriend says its shop for the poor. Why? Cause just look at the gigantic portion they served. Picture on the right, are the shells from both of our serving. The serving is so damn big, I couldnt finish it. And guess what. This shop hasnt increase the price since Day One they started the business more than 20 years ago. I wonder how many shops out there can still achieve this feat? Any takers?


Conclusion: Korea is indeed a food paradise. And it helps as well, my girlfriend brought me to this fabulous places to sample all these good nice food. Gonna miss Korean food.

2 comments:

thathe said...

have a peek at this web-sitelook at here now great post to readyou can try this out this pagelook at these guys

mcneslee said...

h1o63h2f34 d3m12x2j44 b0z55s9i23 r5m43w7h57 a0x68l7t28 d4u28r1z84