Thursday, December 18, 2008

Daun Kaduk





Its really not easy to find daun kaduk or better known as Wild Pepper Leaves in Singapore. I tried asking a "makcik" before in the market at around my neighbourhood if she knows where to get daun kaduk. It comes to a halting No with a bemused smile that a Chinese guy is looking for daun kaduk.

Mostly used by ethnic Malays, its also used in laksa. To me, its just so yummy if you fry it with chilli, dried shrimps and coconut milk. The funny thing is that this plant is supposed to be a wild plant. Back home in Malaysia, this plant grows everywhere, and I mean everywhere. You can just pluck that from roadside, wash it, and its ready to be served.

So now, my search continues. To find this specimen in Singapore, or alternatively I can choose to grow this plant myself in a pot.




3 comments:

Lily said...

If you happen to come Queensway shopping, go across the road near Anchorpoint. There are many Daun Kadut along the road. BTW, it is "Sua Lao Huek", right?

Chee Yong said...

Hey I tried finding daun kaduk at AnchorPoint, but couldnt find any. I saw some leaves that resembles daun kaduk just beside the bus stop, but I am just not sure whether its daun kaduk or not hahahaha....

Unknown said...

They grow everywhere by the roadside landscape. Also at the spice garden on Fort Canning Park.