Monday, December 3, 2007

An Ordinary Man







For a movie that compels me to read its book after watching it, you can certainly say for sure that its certainly left a lasting impact on me. Last year, I watched the movie Hotel Rwanda which starred Don Cheadle as a hotel manager of Milles Collines that saved 1,268 people or to be more exact, 1,268 Tutsis.


So recently I grabbed his autobiography, An Ordinary Man - Paul Rusesabagina. And call it a double whammy, but the book left me feeling how ordinary people with the correct upbringing can change many people lives. And Paul did exactly just that. In the midst of the genocide in Rwanda, he stood out using his skills in the art of persuasion, and his valuable political connections, how he saved many Tutsis from being slaughtered by Hutus militias.


Kinda hard for me to summarize the essence of the story of this 1994 genocide in Rwanda, but what I suggest is that watch the movie Hotel Rwanda, then read the book. It certainly left a very deep impression in me on how one man's courage saved so many lives.

No comments: