Thursday, December 6, 2007

A Clean Icon


Malaysia has been in the news lately for the wrong reasons. The recent Hindraf protest has certainly drawn alof attention from Britain and the Indian govt, not to mention the international press.

However one things for certain, graft has been a constant feature in Malaysia and this certainly cast a dark cloud over the government's resolve in battling this cancer from spreading. Because it seems like the disease has deeply engraved itself in the way of life for every Malaysians.

This brings to mind the first ever temptation that was thrown to Mahatma Gandhi when he was showered with gifts from the Natal Indians. Here is an excerpt from his autobiography.

"The gifts received in 1896 and 1901 were all returned. A trust-deed was prepared, and they were deposited with a bank, to be used for the service of the community, according to my wishes or to those of the trustees.Often, when I was in need of funds for public purposes, and felt that I must draw upon the trust, I have been able to raise the requisite amount, leaving the trust money intact.

The fund is still there, being operated upon in times of need, and it has regularly accumulated.I have never since regretted the step, and as the years have gone by, my wife has also seen its wisdom.

It has saved us from many temptations.I am definitely of opinion that a public worker should accept no costly gifts."

I believe thats just one of the many reasons why the world has looked upon Gandhi as a reflection of purity that transcends time and space.

No comments: