Monday, March 24, 2008

Malaysia Bridge in South Korea








I was on a one week hiatus as I was away for holiday in South Korea. And to my suprise when I was away, so many had happened in Malaysia political scene. You hardly get any Malaysian news on tv or dailies in South Korea. So I had to rely on occasional quick checks on the internet.

I think I would like to blog on whats happening right now in the state of Terengganu but think I will start of with what I observed in Korea.

And let me start of with this old run down bridge that was built in 1966 in Korea across Gosancheon River in Paju province. My girlfriend has told me before of an existence of a bridge called Malaysian Bridge. But I brushed it off. How can it be possible that the Korean govt named a bridge after Malaysia? Right?

I stand corrected and dead wrong. The bridge as you can see was constructed in 1966 and seems like it was officiated about 6 days before 9th Merdeka celebrations. I told myself, no matter how tight my scheduele was, I would need to go to this Malaysia bridge and stand right there. So we did exactly that. me and my girlfriend went there, snapped some pictures and suck in the feeling.

So was this bridge named after Malaysia because of our troops contribution in the Korean War 1950-1953? Why here in the outskirt of Korea? We are talking about a small bridge about 1hour outside Seoul on the way to my girlfriend's small hometown. So many questions without any answers.

I hope someone from Muzium Negara do some digging on the history behind this small old bridge. Isnt it nice to find a bridge named after your country? A nostalgic past of contributions of our countrymen and to name a bridge after another country, means Malaysia did something damn righteous to earn this respect back then.
UPDATE: A good friend of mine, Victor has found out from another Korean who did some digging and found that Malaysian govt helped fund the building of the bridge as during that time, Korea was poor. Well kudos to the Malaysian administration then for doing something right.

3 comments:

yanmaneee said...

retro jordans
nike cortez men
adidas stan smith shoes
jordan shoes
yeezy boost 350
supreme hoodie
nike air max 97
nike x off white
golden goose
cheap jordans

Anonymous said...

I told them and forwarded this to make them believe this true story.

Anonymous said...

I told them and forwarded this to make them believe this true story...Steve Ong